Wednesday, February 29, 2012

How do you change things in your life when you have no support?

I'm trying to have a healthier lifestyle. I want to start eating better, exercising more and generally just live better. I have no support. My husband is very yo-yo-ey (if that's even a word). For example, he will be all about making changes in our diet until we are out and about and he's "starving to death" so he will swing in the Mc Donald's drive through. And then, he doesn't even try to eat anything "healthy" on the menu...he will get a burger and fries and have no shame.



My husband is a huge problem because we obviously live together and spend a ton of time together but it's not just him. I apparently lucked out in the friend dept. because all of them eat like crap and still look good. My parents also, while they are generally pretty healthy, they have some serious sweet tooth's going on and are always asking if I want to come over for brownies or if we can all go out to ice cream etc.



I just feel like I'm on an island, how do you make drastic changes in your life when you don't have any ones support? Call me paranoid, but it feels, a lot of the time, like everyone is trying to sabotage my efforts. Even if they are not, I find it difficult to maintain my resolve when everyone around me does not value my efforts. Even though I am not doing it for them, it's frustrating to feel so alone.



I've tried talking to everyone about how I would like them to be (don't invite me out for dessert (parents), can we please go to the sand which shop for lunch (husband) and no going to starbucks(friends)) But it seems like they lose interest in doing what I ask quite quickly. Within a few weeks everything goes right back to normal.



I'm frustrated and wondering if anyone has some good advice on how to keep on keeping on even when nobody else is.



Sometimes I get the feeling that the positive changes in my life threaten those around me and they want me to stay stuck right where they are...ugh.How do you change things in your life when you have no support?
yep those around are not liking the health thing because it will make them look bad...I think you should do it for yourself and don't rub in their faces...just remember don't use them as an excuse not too....only you can control you!! Good Luck!!!!!
you just gotta do your thingHow do you change things in your life when you have no support?
Yes you can change things in your life with no support, and even if you are sabotaged at every turn. It's still all up to you.



Just as your husband does not care much, does not mean you have to act the same. And it does not matter what anyone else says or does.



Support is nice, but it's not necessary. And even with support, you must still be strong.



No one will 'value your efforts' or even more so 'stand up and cheer' for you...that just does not happen. And this is true of anyone who does the right thing.



You can't do much about dessert(is just bad), but you can make up for it with eating right all the rest of the time. most sandwich shops have salads or various types of good food like a veggie sub, and you can get bottled water at starbucks and even healthy teas. Plus most places to eat are close to each other, so you can just hop over to the good places.
My husband is a natural twig, he could eat enough food to feed Florida and not gain a pound.

So it's not that he wasn't supportive, it's just he really didn't "get" what I was going through.

I had to find the strength within myself to go to the gym and eat well.

I made a friend at the gym, she became my workout buddy and thus; my support.

Good luck :)
Honey, I feel your pain. My husband will make backhanded comments about my weight but then when I take an hour out of the day to exercise, he bitches about me not doing my job (we run a home-based business) or cleaning the house. And, when I make an effort to fill our refrigerator and pantry with healthier foods, he complains about not having anything to "snack on". I feel as if I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.



Just keep on doing what you are doing, because those negative types will ALWAYS find something to complain about, no matter what you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment