Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Food suggestions to keep in my dorm?!?

So I'm a college freshman and a division 1 track athlete (long/triple jumper)

with the 5 classes I'm taking this semester and practice that started up the beginning of this week... I'm practically missing meal times. the only time I actually go in the dining hall is for dinner and I try to make dinner as green as possible since it's the only cooked food I get a day or get a veggie burger from the cafe if the dining hall is closed bc I have a night class on Mondays



the foods I kept in my dorm when I moved in were granola bars, cereal, trail mix, wheat thins, this whey protein mix my mom got for me at the health food store, easy mac, fruit cups, almond milk, arizona green tea, oatmeal peanut butter crackers, hot tea bags, and these melalauca things you put in your water to give it flavor. and I also have my gummy vitamins, and these vitamin D chocolate calcium tablets. But since I practically been living off of the food in my dorm I have like nothing now lol



my parents are coming up on Saturday and they can take me shopping to the grocery store on the other side of town to buy food. So I only have tomorrow to starve (lol not literally)

I'm probably gonna see if I can look up a natural health food store in staten island and stop by there as well



I need to make a grocery list so I don't forget anything

can anyone name any suggestions of things to keep in my room and especially something that would count as a meal? I have a fridge and microwave in my dorm room. I need some new suggestions bc eating easy mac is getting old and ramen noodles is practically suicide with all that msg in it and plus it's flavored with like chicken broth



I'm not a 100% vegetarian yet. since the summer, I've decided to adopt this lifestyle after reading numerous articles and learning about all the chemicals and horomones animal products have and one of the keys to being cancer free is having a very green diet. I try to treat my body like a temple so I want to do what's best for it. I've been trying to ween off meat going cold turkey would be too difficult. I occasionally eat seafood and chicken. The longest I went without meat was almost 2 weeks I'm trying to last over a month without it bc I know I won't eat it again. I stopped eating red meat long time ago it makes me sick. I'm not as much of a junk food junkie like how I was a couple years ago but I do have my little splurge weekend so I'm not perfect lol

Once I started drinking almond milk, I never went back to cows milk...almond is 20x better

Once I'm done with college track and look into more vegan alternatives I will probably be a vegan.

I've tried vegan bread before it's pretty good and I had a vegan meal with a friend of my dad whose a vegan

Also does anyone know any good recipes for the vegan alternatives to treats like cookies, icecream and stuff like that. I ought to treat myself sometime :)



okay I'm starting to go off in a tangent so I'll end it with that

I appreciate the help :) thanks in advance!Food suggestions to keep in my dorm?!?
Whole grain bread, peanut butter, and some good jam. PB%26amp;J is a fairly good, quick, relatively filling thing. Cous cous might be good (use the microwave to boil the water for it). And it's still good cold, so leftovers are quick and edible. And apparently really good in scrambled eggs (so my husband says).



If you have a freezer, frozen fruits for smoothies would be good (I guess only if you want to buy a blender too...) or frozen vegetables to add to whatever rice/noodle/whatever dishes. Oh yeah, microwaveable rice might be a good option too.



Dry hummus might be a good thing to stock up on. It's good for a snack, or good as a spread on sandwiches.



Crackers? Whole grain crackers with peanut butter is one of my favorite snacks, and sometimes turns into lunch for me when I kind of don't stop eating them... :D



Granola and yogurt are good things. Cheese also goes well with crackers. And... I'm officially out of ideas that don't require a stove. Gotta be honest, I don't use my microwave for anything other than reheating my coffee....



OH! Burritos! Cans of beans and tortillas and salsa and whatever else you put on them! You could just buy the frozen ones too, or spend half an hour one afternoon (if you have one) and make them! Just roll up the beans and cheese (and onions if you like them), and then wrap in plastic wrap/foil and freeze! I'd unwrap them even if you used plastic wrap before microwaving and re-wrap in a very (VERY) slightly damp paper towel. Actually, frozen bean taquitos would be ok too, although they're way better baked than nuked. Hot pockets might be good too? I'm pretty sure there are vegetarian (not vegan though I'm sure) hot pockets. They're not the healthiest food, but there are much worse alternatives.Food suggestions to keep in my dorm?!?
Steak

Fresh hamburger meat

Chicken breasts

Lunch meats, turkey %26amp; ham

Cheese

Eggs

Ravioli by chef boyadi

Spaghetti

Etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment